We are looking for schools who would be interested in taking part in an exciting project exploring the use of communication symbols in mainstream schools.
Are you interested in (or concerned about) any of the following?
- Being more easily able to differentiate lessons to include children with communication and/or learning difficulties.
- Being more easily able to communicate the schedule and routines for all children in the class.
- Having worksheets that work for both more and less able children in a class.
- Easing children’s frustrations or anxieties from not knowing what to do/what’s going on.
What we can offer:
- A method for easily adding communication symbols to lesson materials created in PowerPoint (a free subscription for one year to the Commtap Symboliser for PowerPoint for as many staff as would like to use it).
- Free training/support for your staff in using communication symbols in school.
- Working with your school to work out what is and isn’t practical for you in terms of communication symbol use.
- Working with your IT department to help get things set up in a way that best suits your school.
What we would like from you:
- Feedback about what is and isn’t helpful in terms of communication symbol use.
- How practical it is using communication symbols.
- If and how children have benefitted from the use of communication symbols.
Who we are:
Commtap CIC is a not for profit organisation which is a member of the Communication Consortium (commtap.org/tct). It was formed in 2005 by a group of specialist teachers and speech and language therapists. It provides a free website for sharing ideas for supporting children with communication difficulties and software to assist in this process (commtap.org).
Register your interest
If you or your school are interested in participating in this project or if you would just like to find out more, please contact Neil.
Phone 07986 356634 or 01905 571008.